Skip to main content

Rainy Day Progress

1/15/18
This Sunday was a very productive day.  I made more progress in today that I feel I've made in the last 2 months.  While this isn't the truth, it just gives that impression as you look at your checklist and it keeps getting smaller and smaller.  I won't go into detail on each task I completed but I've listed my accomplishments and took a few pictures.


  • Completed this weekend:
  • Radiator installed properly - the upper bushings were not seated properly over the tabs of the aftermarket radiator.  Fixed it by cutting off the offending tab.
  • Radiator fans installed - both were missing screws and after the initial install, the passengers side fan was making contact with the radiator itself.  I had to shim out the fan 3/8" for it to clear.  Finding bolts/washers ended up being a real PITA but I got it together.
  • Installed windshield washer tank after stripping the black pealing paint and then finished it with a quick pass through the sand blaster.
  • Installed both headers - they are uncoated Gen 2 Tri-Y's that Dan builds himself.
  • Routed wires safely - reattached to main harness bundle to the back of the head as the factory did it.  I then zip tied everything safely away from the headers so no smoke!!
  • Replaced the damaged oil filter -  Bought a new one that was the exact same as the old one.  I then checked the oil and tightened the oil lines going to the radiator.
  • Installed the MAF - stock MAF was missing so Dan supplied me with a new F-body MAF.
  • Installed power steering reservoir - kind of a no brainer but I did have to source some hose clamps to seal things up
  • Installed the alternator - no issues with this except I could not locate the exact correct bolts.  I eventually found one in my "box-o-bolts".
  • Installed serpentine belt - it was kind of dirty so I cleaned it up.  I then inspected it for cracks and found it to be in great shape.
  • Reconnected all coolant hoses - replaced a couple hose clamps that were missing as well as re-tightened everything.
  • Connected transmission vac line - routed new vacuum line from brake booster to nipple on transmission.
  • Installed exhaust system - fit great but it should have since it was built on the car.





  • Installed steering stabilizer - I am guessing it was disconnected to aid in turning the steering wheel without assistance from the power steering system.





  • Updated the ECM - this had to be done to allow the use of the F-body MAF



As I left it late Sunday night after a long days work.


Things are finally coming together.  Once it is running there will still be a ton of work but just getting to this point has an adventure.  Working with my son and teaching him as I progress has honestly been a ton of fun.  Bonding is awesome!!

Comments

  1. Wow! You have made great progress. I don't even recognize that car.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overhead Console Install

One of the "asks" was to install and wire in an overhead console.  I believe it was from an Astro Van and nothing about it fit the Impala.  I was quite surprised how long the install took but the finished product is really all that matters in the end. I first disassembled the console so I could paint it as well as figure out how to best install the darn thing. With the headliner out, I can form the base to conform to the Impala headliner.  I decided to use thin aluminum sheets and rivet them to the sides to fill the gaps. I then covered the base with material that matched the headliner. Painting everything the same matte black color as the rest of the car so it matches. Lastly the final assembly.  I as really happy with how it turned out thus far. I really hate cutting up a perfectly good headliner but this mod requires it.  Most people cut huge holes and also drill into the cross brace and use screws/hardware that can damage the roof if not careful.  I

Center Console

The center console needed to get modified so it would work with the new B&M shifter.  If we had a '96 console, things would have been much easier.  Unfortunately they are very expensive so the '95 console was used.  The two cup holders were situated exactly where the shifter needed to be so out comes the power tools. After the console area was cut, I purchased a piece of ABS plastic and formed it using a heat gun to match the contours.  It then got cut to make room for the modified shifter bezel. The panel was then glued to the console using ABS adhesive.  Because the colors didn't quite match, the console was washed and prepared for some SEM plastic paint. I am really happy with the end result.  Not sure if I'd want to do it again because as simple as it seems, I had 12+ hours into the console.

Speaker Box Build

When we initially went over the terms of the project, I stated that I did not want to do a full custom stereo installation.  As time progressed, I had spent so much time working on it, I didn't want to do a half-ass job finishing the trunk.  We went back and forth on ideas but in the end, I decided to just finish the car so Dan could enjoy it rather than get it back and continue to work on it. The first task was to build the speaker boxes that would house two Infinity Perfect 12 inch subs.  He wanted a good punch but not a booming sound.  After looking over the specs, that meant a sealed box of 1 cubic foot for each sub.  The trunk floor is not flat in a B-body so templates had to be built to accommodate the odd shape.  I decided to built 2 separate boxes - one for each side of the trunk. Here is the outline of the speaker box faces.  I had just barely enough room to mount a 12 inch subwoofer into the panel.  My goal was to be able to mount the amps and crossovers between the b