Skip to main content

Coolant Flush - Wow

1/17/18
I had planned to go for a run but by the time I got home from work, the rain was coming down in sheets and the wind was blowing.  So I opted to go and hide in the garage for a couple hours.  Dan thought the coolant should be good but I just wanted to verify and boy am I glad I did.  The first thing I did was removed the knock sensors so I could drain the block.  What came out is best described as black sludge.  I got a big knot in my stomach because it resembled oil but it didn't have those characteristics.  I plugged my hose into the engine inlet hose to flush the block but nothing came out.  Using my lungs, I put my lips (YUCK!) to the hose and blew as hard as I could.  Crap came shooting out both plug holes and the water started to flow.  Probably 50+ gallons later the water was running clean and clear.


It looks like the green antifreeze in the block had settled to the point that the green coloring started to solidify.  I'd never seen that before and wow, what a mess.  I was able to get most of the crap into my buckets but eventually I just let it flow.  It also gave me an excuse to pick up everything off the floor and hose out the garage.


The radiator also got flushed.  It wasn't near as bad but had been filled with Dexcool.  I will refill everything with the old-fashioned green stuff.  I've had too many issues with Dexcool in the past and much prefer standard antifreeze.

I have a few minor things to do finish before I can start it for the first time in near a decade.  D-day is near!

Comments

  1. WTF!? I've also never heard of that happening to coolant before. Geez. I'm glad you went the extra mile and drained and flushed it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overhead Console Install

One of the "asks" was to install and wire in an overhead console.  I believe it was from an Astro Van and nothing about it fit the Impala.  I was quite surprised how long the install took but the finished product is really all that matters in the end. I first disassembled the console so I could paint it as well as figure out how to best install the darn thing. With the headliner out, I can form the base to conform to the Impala headliner.  I decided to use thin aluminum sheets and rivet them to the sides to fill the gaps. I then covered the base with material that matched the headliner. Painting everything the same matte black color as the rest of the car so it matches. Lastly the final assembly.  I as really happy with how it turned out thus far. I really hate cutting up a perfectly good headliner but this mod requires it.  Most people cut huge holes and also drill into the cross brace and use screws/hardware that can damage the roof if not careful.  I

Center Console

The center console needed to get modified so it would work with the new B&M shifter.  If we had a '96 console, things would have been much easier.  Unfortunately they are very expensive so the '95 console was used.  The two cup holders were situated exactly where the shifter needed to be so out comes the power tools. After the console area was cut, I purchased a piece of ABS plastic and formed it using a heat gun to match the contours.  It then got cut to make room for the modified shifter bezel. The panel was then glued to the console using ABS adhesive.  Because the colors didn't quite match, the console was washed and prepared for some SEM plastic paint. I am really happy with the end result.  Not sure if I'd want to do it again because as simple as it seems, I had 12+ hours into the console.

Speaker Box Build

When we initially went over the terms of the project, I stated that I did not want to do a full custom stereo installation.  As time progressed, I had spent so much time working on it, I didn't want to do a half-ass job finishing the trunk.  We went back and forth on ideas but in the end, I decided to just finish the car so Dan could enjoy it rather than get it back and continue to work on it. The first task was to build the speaker boxes that would house two Infinity Perfect 12 inch subs.  He wanted a good punch but not a booming sound.  After looking over the specs, that meant a sealed box of 1 cubic foot for each sub.  The trunk floor is not flat in a B-body so templates had to be built to accommodate the odd shape.  I decided to built 2 separate boxes - one for each side of the trunk. Here is the outline of the speaker box faces.  I had just barely enough room to mount a 12 inch subwoofer into the panel.  My goal was to be able to mount the amps and crossovers between the b